Friday, June 11, 2004

My apologies to Juan José Millás, but I just gotta let my non-spanish-speaking brethren in on this (courtesy of Altavista's Babel Fish Translation):

    An ingenuous one
    Juan José Millás
    I did not saw to anybody shake the newspaper in the air horrified before the idea that everything was allowed. And nevertheless, the news said that the legal advisers of the White House had elaborated a report that adjusts like a glove to the spiritual measures of Bush, and according to which the torture is just when the president by antonomasia orders. This man, that or had the life of its subjects (and its subjects we are all the inhabitants of the planet) when it came to him in desire, could not nevertheless take the nails to them, empalar them or apply to them current without the danger to face the rigors of the law, which was, obviously, a contradiction. For a year, thanks to that report of high moral seam, have not been having limits in which it talks about the use, to the manipulation or the partition of the bodies of his same types. What disproportion between the amount of being able and the shortage of scruples.
    Everything is allowed. I did not saw to anybody running by the streets shaking with horror the leaf of the newspaper. I did not do it either, by fear to perhaps seem ingenuous or to give the impression that she was not of return. But he was not it, that one is the truth, I am not it. How it was going to imagine, after the centuries, that I belong to a culture without moral limitations, I have been months fighting not to accustom to me to Guantánamo, Powell, Rumsfeld, Condoleeza Rice; making exercises so that the alarms go off to me when I hear call political errors to pure crimes; forcing to me to that the end hairs are put whenever I open the family album and I see England soldier playing the dogs with an Arab... And now it is that all that was written in the Tables of the Law.
    Everything is allowed. In fact, days ago, the Pope, that shares with Bush the representation of Dios, SA, in the Earth, received its partner, by that let itself decorate at the end of "cordial" interview. The same Pope that excomulga to violet children whom they dare to abort, accepts medals of the author of a manual which it attributes on the creatures competitions that would put the meat of hen to the very same Creator. I am an ingenuous one, yes, and am terrified, but I do not want that innocence nor the fright take off to me neither.
    Published in the Friday 11 June 2004 issue of El País.


If I find some moments I'll make it a bit more reader-friendly. But I hope you get the gist of it. Peace.

No comments: